Wearing Rubber Bands
Wearing Rubber Bands in Annapolis, MD
Elastics are a vital part of treatment and are also contingent upon patient compliance. They add extra pressure to the braces to help move the teeth. Generally worn at all times (excluding eating and brushing your teeth), elastics should be changed at least once a day. They come in various sizes as they are each used for a specific purpose. We will provide you with the appropriate size.
It is important to wear them consistently or treatment setbacks may occur. If only one day is missed, it could cause your teeth to shift back to their original position!
Please keep in mind:
- Patient compliance is key! You must remember to wear the elastics at all times and change them once a day.
- Be sure to bring extra elastics with you wherever you go. If one breaks, you will have a replacement.
- If you miss a day of wearing the elastics, do not “double up” the next day. Wear your elastics as instructed.
- As you wear the elastics, they will stretch and lose elasticity. This will cause the pressure to decrease. Changing your elastics every day is very important to keep the proper pressure level that will move your teeth.
- If any part of your brackets, wires or hooks breaks, please call us for a repair appointment. We need to fix your braces as soon as possible so you can continue to wear the elastics.